Environmentally friendly behavior
Green energy conservation projects
Synnex has continued to invest in improving the energy efficiency of its headquarters and logistics centers for many years to reduce the load on the environment, and has established comprehensive energy-saving management and energy efficiency mechanisms in the most energy-intensive logistics centers.
|Energy conservation plan
|Taipei headquarters energy-saving measures
• Adjustment of the air conditioner on and off times: Changed the daily air conditioning start time from 8:00 to 8:30; changed the stop time from 20:00 to 19:30 (reducing the run time by 1 hour each day)
• Promotion to close the doors of empty meeting rooms (and idle supervisor rooms) and photocopying rooms, and to close the safety doors in the hall and entrances to each floor
• Set the fan of the air conditioner to low in stairwells
• Record the temperature of each floor and observe the comfortable temperature. If the temperature of a floor is lower than the standard value, increase the temperature of the water chiller by one degree
• Regularly clean and maintain the building's air-conditioning equipment to reduce air-conditioning power consumption (maintenance items include the fans, water chiller, and 500RT cooling tower on each floor)
• Install energy-saving fans to improve the cooling efficiency and reduce power consumption
• Employees are encouraged to use the stairs and skip the use of elevators
||Continue to promote paperless operations, such as using an electronic signature system. Reduced paper consumption by 265,222 sheets in 2019, which reduced approximately 2.12 tons of CO2e of GHG emissions Note 1
|Replacement with energy efficient lights
||In 2018 and 2019, the lights at the Taipei headquarters and the Taipei logistics center were replaced with a total of 3,400 LED lights. The cost of purchasing the LED lights is NT$1,191,388, saving 226,398 kWh of electricity each year Note 2
Note 1 :
The carbon reduction performance of paperless operations is estimated based on the carbon footprint of A4 photocopying paper at 4 kg CO2e/500 sheets multiplied by the reduction in paper consumption in 2019.
Note 2 :
1. The amount of electricity saved is calculated by multiplying the annual electricity consumption difference between the LED lights and the traditional T8 lights by the number of LED lights used for the replacement. The difference is calculated based on the assumption of 3,000 hours of use per year.
2. According to the LED Lighting Energy-Conservation Application Manual of the Bureau of Energy, MOEA, the power consumption of traditional T8 lights is 36 W/piece.
3. The number of replacement LEDs and its power consumption are respectively 40 pieces: 18 W/piece; 2,282 pieces: 16 W/piece; 1,078 pieces: 9 W/piece.
Recycle electronic waste
Synnex has recycling symbols and recycling bins setup for obsolete or used cellphones, electronic products, and batteries at the maintenance centers, and reminds consumers to delete their personal data before recycling for personal privacy protection. Each quarter, the company’s contractors handle the recycling according to law.
Furthermore, Synnex has been cooperating with the Environmental Protection Administration's "Four-Waste Machines" recycling policy since 2013 by helping consumers recycle old TVs, refrigerators, and washers when installing home appliances. However, this is an additional service, not waste that is generated by Synnex’s operations. According to statistics, 3,552 units were recycled in 2017, 3,358 units were recycled in 2018, and the number increased substantially to 6,024 units in 2019.
Reduce the impact of logistics and transportation on the environment
Logistics vehicles are Synnex’s main source of energy consumption and GHG emissions. Thus, while replacing used vehicles with new ones, vehicles in compliance with the environmental regulations of Taiwan are used to reduce air pollution throughout the product transportation process. Moreover, through the logistics management information system developed in-house, combined with our own distribution fleet and years of practical experience in distribution applied to dividing distribution routes, we reduced inefficient transport routes to improve distribution efficiency. When vehicles return to the factory to park or unload and load, the engines must be turned off and idling is prohibited to reduce fuel consumption and emissions of air pollutants and greenhouse gases.
In addition to the aforementioned environmentally friendly behavior to reduce environmental impact, Synnex also strictly abides by the central and local environmental protection regulations. There are no penalty records for violations of environmental protection regulations in 2019. Also, all of Synnex’s operating bases are not located in eco-system protected areas, so there is no risk of affecting ecological diversity.